Saturday, October 31, 2009

USIU Ksh20,000,000 Africana gig

Just seen a news item on KTN that USIU has launched a Ksh20,000,000 book fund (or is it an Africana Library or a fund to boost African authors?).
In the item, it is reported that USIU has so far raised about Ksh3,000,000 and hope to raise the rest in five years. (Standard Group CEO - or is it chairman? - Paul Wanyagah feels 5 years is too long a time!).
The chairman of the initiative is one Ken Kariuki.
I listened to the VC Prof Frieda Brown and she was talking of something to do with tuition, other resources - online, print etc. I am lost.
Maybe due to the nature of the news item - brief, rushed, almost PR-ish and all - and the education or otherwise of the writer of the item (shallow, book-matters illiterate, whichever way you look at it), it didn't come out clearly what USIU is coming up with?
a) Is it an Africana Collection? (they should be having one, surely?)
b) Is it an Africana Library?
c) Is it a book fund to boost authors (but how? paying them advances, helping them self-publish, sponsoring them to writing workshops? Buyng them decent clothes? What?)
Towards the end of the item, it was mentioned that USIU hopes to raise the cash from its alumni. I'm not one (thank you so much, Moi University serves me so right, er, for now), so does that mean am excluded from contributing? I can do Ksh50,000 in, you know, five years. I don't make much, really, but when it comes to books, I can even take a Sacco loan just to lay my hands on a said book.
Confusion aside, I think I like this. It was also metioned that there will be a hall of fame kind of thing - every contibutor's name will appear here. I think I will do with a certificate to show I supported a book cause. Considering USIU is my future employer (check with me 5 years from now - after I have done my Masters, written my two books and the works), I think a certificate that shows I contributed a princely Ksh50,000 would not be so bad, au sio?
On a serious note, if ever there was a time for Kenyan publishers and writers to shine, this is such. I'll illustrate.
The East African Educational Publishers beats all the Kenyan publishers hands down when it comes to Africana titles (by that I mean titles, both fiction and non-fiction, done by Africans). What if EAEP just bit the bullet, so to speak, and donated like each of its over 200 titles in the famed African Writers Series? (I know someone will say something to do with Heineman, Longman ... let them!).
Second example: The authors. They can and should surrender a copy of their published books to the USIU Africana thing. I am talking the likes of Ngugi wa Thiong'o, Francis Imbuga, Meja Mwangi, Mwangi Ruheni, Margaret Ogola, Micere Mugo, Maina Kinyatti, Koigi wa Wamwere (I know his limitations as a writer), Grace Ogot, ... (where have all the writers gone?).
Shhhhh: In fact, Ngugi wa Thiong'o with all the money he makes abroad could just write USIU a 1,000,000/- cheque (assuming they are receiving money from non-alumni.)
As soon as I get me the Ksh50,000, I'll go looking for Ken Kariuki. Watch this blog.
Kudos USIU.

No comments:

Post a Comment